Friday, August 26, 2011

Home Sweet Home

All’s well that ends well. Wednesday night I was able to re-pack five months of stuff into my suitcase, backpack, and computer case. At 3:30 AM on Thursday, I was out my door and on my way to the subway station. Goodbye 61 Motorstrasse!

4:00 AM – Subway departs to main train station

4:45 AM – City Train to Munich airport

7:00 AM – Flight to London

Goodbye Munich and Germany.

11:45 AM (12:45 AM Munich time) – Flight to Chicago

Goodbye Europe.

2:30 PM (9:30 PM Munich time) – LAND IN UNITED STATES!!!

5:30 PM (12:30 AM Munich time) – Flight to Dayton

7:30 PM (1:30 AM Munich time) – I see my family in Dayton

8:45 PM (2:45 AM Munich time) – Back Home in St. Henry, OH

It was another long trip with heavy bags, but I will admit that the biggest thing I took back with me yesterday was all the great memories of a once in a life-time experience. Simply amazing and indescribable.


I would love to jump into a giant reflective epilogue on my wanderings and adventures in Europe, but for the sake of my readership, I will save that for a separate piece of writing. Here I would simply like to quote one of my favorite saints…

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” -Saint Augustine

So true is this statement. Language, food, living, family, socializing, working… everything cultural that can be experienced from a new lens opens us up to the universal constant of humanity’s connective nature through differences. Understanding those differences, learning from them, and sharing them are what move this world forward and bring everyone closer together.

For anyone who gets a chance to take a trip abroad, regardless of its size or timing, I would encourage it without hesitation. Go do it!

To my readers…

Thank you for listening. Thank you for following along. It has been an absolute pleasure writing and updating this blog. It has provided me with an exercise in journaling I never knew before. It has helped me be introspective and reflective. With all of that, it has also been wonderful sharing with the few people who read from time to time.

I must say it will probably feel strange moving back into “normal” live without giving a weekly update of exactly what it is I am up to. Besides boring everyone, I would probably not get much sleep from having to write so often. I’ll instead extend you all an offer… If you want me to continue my story, give me a call and we’ll meet up to catch up. I’ll give a story for each you give me. Sound like a plan? … Good … I’m glad you agree. We’ll start with how I broke my second pair of sunglasses on the way back from the largest travel experience of my life. Until then, Alles Gute und viel Erfolg.

-Corey

No comments:

Post a Comment