Friday, August 19, 2011

The Avett Brothers in Munich – My Final Full Week

The title explains well the highlight of this week, but let me begin with a moment of silence…

…my dear Fahrrad (bicycle) is gone. He served me well. He got me from my apartment to the main station, grocery store, and wash salon on more occasions than I can recount. Rain and shine (Note: It is difficult to hold an umbrella on a bike in a storm.). I only encountered one flat tire, but he held up. I have now sold him. It is time he moves to help the next poor student intern in Germany. After an intense haggling session, I sold my advertised 65 Euro bike for 60 Euro… lock and chain… Wiedersehen… perhaps our paths may cross again.

Ok, now that we’ve got that out of the way… THE AVETT BROTHERS! For a few weeks now, Ben Zeigler (a fellow ICPer working in Kitzingen) and I have been planning on seeing the Avett Brothers in concert in Munich. I don’t do too many concerts, but this one was great. After grabbing dinner at a Biergarten, Ben and I headed to the Muffatwerk to see them on Tuesday evening. Ben had already just experienced a rather extensive weekend up in Amsterdam and had even attended the Brother’s concert in Cologne the night before on his way to Munich. I’d call that dedication. We were excited to see the hall was quite… Gemütlich. Very small. We showed up a half hour before the opening band began and we grabbed spots about two meters from the stage. Not too shabby.





It was great seeing a majority of the crowd was Germans enjoying a uniquely American band. Not too many banjos in Germany… Needless to say, it was a very enjoyable evening.

This was my last “full” week of work at BMW. As a Bavarian worker, I was given Monday off as a state holiday, but Tuesday through Friday, I basically was recalling all I have learned in the modal analysis laboratory since April. After compiling a presentation, I realized I have really learned quite a bit. Considering this is the longest stretch of months I have ever worked full time for a company, it shouldn’t be such a surprise that I was able to gain so much knowledge. Thanks to getting a grip on the German language and some really great mentors at work, this was possible.

Today was a bit sad being my last Friday at BMW. I enjoyed my very last Weisswurt, Brezen, und Bier for breakfast and said goodbye to a large portion of the department. Most of them are taking next week off for vacation since their children are currently on summer holiday. Time to make those family trips to Italy!

This weekend I will be working on compiling some of my university reports and portfolios... in addition to cleaning out all of the stuff I have accumulated in my apartment since moving here in April. On Monday I deregister as a Munich citizen. We’re in the homestretch now. I’ll be in Mercer County again one week from today.

No comments:

Post a Comment