Sunday, May 1, 2011

A Wind-Down Week

After a rather intense Easter weekend, I decided that this was going to be a very chill and non-busy week/weekend. Wednesday was supposed to be the day my new roommate showed up. I have nothing to report, however. He is currently MIA… even now on Sunday. I suppose we’ll see what this week brings. I did however have a new experience on Wednesday. I went to the German Friseur (barber/hair-dresser) for the first time. I have a hard time explaining how I want my hair cut in English. I all but gave up trying in German! In the end there were no disasters… I still have hair! Disappointing was that there was no warm-lather straight blade shaving of the neck as I normally get in Clifton. Those are the simple things that make all the difference sometimes.

The rest of the week consisted of finishing up my first big assignment at work. I am happy to report that I am finally getting the hang of some of the software we’ve been using! Outside of working at work, I also discovered a new favorite dessert on Friday! It is called Quark-Maracuja-Lasagne! Literally that translates to curd, passion fruit lasagna. Wow, was it good! I had a large helping and covered it with chocolate sauce. Who knew lasagna could taste any better than in its traditional form!

This weekend was comprised of lots of reading and relaxing. I did get to go on another 30 minute run and I saw another new church as well. On Saturday I went to mass at St. Joseph’s. It was nestled in a quite section of town just outside of the Innenstadt. The church was beautiful (the recurring theme here in Europe). This one was especially neat because they really placed a focus on St. Joseph. Each wall contained several portraits of St. Joseph throughout his known life. You could see images of him meeting the angle, guiding Mary to Bethlehem, trying to find room at the inn, leading the Holy Family to Egypt… and many others. It was cool to see my namesake is such vibrant images.

After mass, I found a neat little English bookstore across the way. Apparently, it is the largest used English bookstore in the city! The owner came from the states and met a German. He decided to stay in Germany and open this bookstore. It seems like interesting shops such as this are everywhere in Munich.

Into the afternoon, I was actually more on the hunt for some lamps for the apartment. My goal was to remove the prison-like feel I have had in my apartment since moving in… something about white walls and florescent lights… Since I’m purchasing on the cheap, I wanted to find another Flohmarkt. I had heard that there was one every Saturday in Olympia park’s parking lot, so I headed there. Wow… I hit the mother-load! It was the largest flea-market I have seen since Trader’s World outside of Cincinnati! Many families and individuals had booths lined up and down the parking lot with small concession stands in between. I browsed for a couple of hours, looking at all the treasures. You could buy anything from beer steins to singing fish (yes, they have that darn fish here too!). I found my two lamps for a reasonable 10 Euros after doing some expert negotiating (I’m probably exaggerating…).

That brings me up to speed. It’s raining outside now and I’m perfectly content with watching it out the window. It hasn’t rained too often since I’ve been here, so it is kind of peaceful.

Happy 1st of May! …oh, and I about forgot to mention... I received my first paycheck on Friday! Hurrah for reversed cash flows! After all this spending, it’s good to see some income!

No comments:

Post a Comment