Thursday, May 12, 2011

Ups and Downs

I left you all on Saturday after a fair trip into the outskirts of Munich. Since then, I have realized a study abroad trip can have just as many high points as low ones… even if all the low ones need to hit at the exact same time.

The adventure started on Friday really. I received a letter in the post saying I had received a package. I was of course excited. Who doesn’t like getting mysterious brown boxes in the mail!? It was 4:15 pm. I opened the letter and read the details. It said that since it was an international package, I had to pick it up at the Zollamt (customs office). The office closes daily at 5pm. Okay. I ran upstairs, pulled up google maps, and found it. It was about 17 km out of town! I could make that in 30 minutes on a bike pedaling hard… okay… we’re going…

I pedaled fast. Apparently not fast enough. There was a rather...um…“hefty”… gentleman who glided right past me as if I were on a leisurely ride. In reality, I was sweating through my shirt. Wow… I am out of shape! I digress… So I kept riding north of Munich and ultimately got lost. 5pm came and went. No package. At least I got in my exercise!

I already updated everyone on Saturday, so we’ll skip back to Sunday. On Sunday, the internet was down at my place, so after dinner I rode out to Starbucks (15 minute bike ride). I rode out there because it was necessary to call mom on Mother’s Day. When I called, I found out my uncle was not doing so well. He had been diagnosed with cancer a while back, and we knew his time was soon coming. I thank God for allowing me to make that phone call, because I did get to say a few last words to him that afternoon.

This is my blog and it is just as much my trip record as it is your way of keeping tabs on me while I’m abroad. I cannot skip over details though, so I’ll share some less “surface level” thoughts.

I have and know many friends and family who have fought cancer. I know many who have w

on. I know many who have lost. I know many who are still fighting. To those who have been affected by it, I will say that you are among some of the most brave and resilient of men and women. I admire your courage and your strength. I admire the courage and strength of your families. I was away in Germany during two big events I regularly participate in… Relay for Life (in Cincinnati) and Hopefest (in St. Henry). Both are events where we walk to remember lost loved ones and walk to fight for those still living. I charged some friends with walking for me… and I did some walking of my own. For all those who prayed for my uncle this weekend… thank you. It means more than I could describe.

My uncle was a great man, and I am blessed to have known him better in the past couple of years. For a while, I didn’t know him very well at all (he lived rather far away). Due to some family related events, he was reconnected with us back in Ohio and he made a few trips over to visit in recent years. I was able to crack jokes and converse with a relative I would have otherwise never known well. I believe strongly that God brought him back into our lives for a reason. Though he has moved onto a much better place, I am glad to have some memories with him, and I look forward to telling him about my Germany trip some day in the future.

Being away from home during this time has been hard, but it continues to teach me just how blessed we are each time we are physically present with family and friends. I love my family. I love my friends. End of story.

After talking with the family at Starbucks, I left to find my bike with a flat tire. It must have seen a shard of glass. Those are rather common here. That meant I was walking. I carried my bike 10 minutes to the nearest gas station. Of course the air pump was broken, so I carried my bike to the next gas station where the pump worked. I filled the tire, and was fortunate to have it last right up until I got back to 61 Motorstrasse. Once there, I reached into my pocket for my keys… I found only a key fob with a broken link. My keys had fallen off somewhere along the flat-tire excursion. I was locked out of a room (without my cell phone) and up until now, I hadn’t had a roommate. What was I going to do?? Before conceding to sleep on the street, I followed a fellow resident into the building and prayed that my roommate had come. He had. Thank you Lord! He let me into the room and we exchanged introductions. He probably thought I was a crazy person with the expression I had on my face. That was not how I had envisioned our first meeting! He’s cool though. More on that later…

That night I borrowed my roommate’s keys, bus pass, and a flashlight to head back out and look for my key. Replacements cost around $150. I searched for two solid hours and found nothing. Again… at least I got my exercise.

I guess bad things do really come in threes. The good news is that the rest of the week has been more hopeful. I got a new key Monday morning. I fixed my tire that night. On Wednesday I made another attempt at getting that package and was successful! My family rocks. I always appreciate a random singing card. And finally, work went well this week too… so in the end, I can only say “thanks”.

I couldn't leave a “hole” in my German experience records, so that’s the latest. Again, I am very thankful for my good fortune in spite of the sometimes seemly “bad” fortune. To those at home, thank you for always being there and being so supportive.

God Bless,

Corey

No comments:

Post a Comment